Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Blah Blah Blah

"Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are disorderly.  Comfort the discouraged.  Help the weak.  Be patient with everyone.  Make sure no one repays a wrong with a wrong, but always pursue the good for each other and everyone else.  Rejoice always.  Pray continually.  Give thanks in every situation because this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.", (1 Thessalonians 5:14-18, adapted from the CEB)

Lord,
There are times when it is awfully satisfying to repay a wrong with a wrong,
My warnings to the disorderly are rarely heeded.
Mostly it is too hard to pursue good for each other and for everyone else as well.
Times when I don't want to rejoice
A lot of the time I forget to pray.
I definitely don't give thanks for every situation.

Lord,
Is this my warning
that I'm in need of comfort
because I am weak and impatient
and on occasion even petty?
That it is time to rejoice,
to give these things to you in prayer,
which will indeed need to be constant.

Lord,
in this letting go
will I discover that what is left to hold onto
is your will for me?

Amen.





1

No comments:

Post a Comment